Food and drink service on board
With social distancing measures in place and to avoid the spread of coronavirus, some at-seat services are currently suspended. Some rail operators are unable to provide any onboard refreshments, while others have refreshments available to collect from their onboard shop. So, you may want to purchase your own refreshments before boarding.
Please check with the rail company you are travelling with to see their current First Class offering:
- Avanti West Coast: First Class Onboard - If you’re travelling in First, then a selection of food and drink will be offered to you at your seat by a member of the onboard team. At the moment, the range of menus is slightly reduced. But there’s still a nice selection of hot and cold options to choose from.
First Class Lounges - Currently, some of the lounges are closed. But in those that are open, after you’re safely seated a member of the team will be over to take your order and deliver complimentary drinks and snacks direct to your seat.”
- GWR: Food and drink services have been reintroduced on many GWR trains. Menu items can't be guaranteed as stock/ranges will be limited for some time.
First Class Lounges are open but with a limited number of passengers allowed in at one time to maintain social distancing. More info on travelling safely: http://GWR.com/safety
- LNER: First Class Lounges are open again for those with a valid First Class ticket - unfortunately, refreshments won't be available until further notice. Additional cleaning measures are in place to keep you and colleagues safe. Onboard, the trolley service has resumed with some additional menu items, so you can stay well-fed without leaving your seat. See here for more information: https://www.lner.co.uk/the-east-coast-experience/first-class/menu/
- CrossCountry: First Class refreshments are available but the way they are provided will be slightly different. The range of products available is also reduced for the time being but is under constant review. For more information and menu items please visit CrossCountry here, https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/on-board-with-crosscountry/first-class-food-and-drink
- Transpennine Express: Due to the current pandemic, catering is unavailable. We recommend that you take your own snacks and refreshments. The catering service will be re-introduced as soon as possible. For more information and menu items please visit https://www.tpexpress.co.uk/travelling-with-us/first-class
Upgraded together but our reserved seats are separate.
You may find that when booking or upgrading your tickets that your reserved seats aren't together. This is to ensure social distancing in maintained throughout the train. This doesn't mean that you can't sit with your travel partner (though it's a good excuse if you don't want to). The seat next to you is available for your travel partner to use if they are from the same household or bubble.
With some of our carriers, you may not be assigned a specific seat with your Seatfrog upgrade. When this happens you'll still follow the usual process when arriving at the station and passing through the station barriers, however when boarding the train, you'll need to find a socially-distanced seat. Where possible, please follow the guidance below when taking a seat onboard:
- Sit at a window seat.
- Sit one person per row.
- Leave two empty rows between occupied seats.
- Sit on alternate sides of the coach.
- Avoid facing other passengers.
- No standing.
- If you’re travelling with other members of your household, you may sit together. But, please maintain a safe distance from others.
For further information from our carriers, please visit their travel guidance below:
- Avanti West Coast: https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/help-and-support/coronavirus-travel-information
- CrossCountry Trains: https://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/coronavirus
- GWR: https://www.gwr.com/safety
- LNER: https://www.lner.co.uk/travel-information/coronavirus-travel-information/